I would very much like to share this crowdfunding appeal on behalf of the “Friends of the Certosa of Capri“. In this day and age too often historical christian places of worship are abandoned, destroyed, turned into mosques, hotels or bars (in fact my last parish church in Devon was turned into an office). It is therefore gratifying to find efforts to rescue and of conservation for the Certosa of San Giacomo on Capri.
The old Carthusian monastery was a monastery of the Carthusian Order on the island of Capri, within the Bay of Naples in Italy. Built at the end of the fourteenth century, the monastery was closed and its property sold in 1808. Part of the buildings today houses a museum dedicated to the German painter Karl Wilhelm Diefenbach, who spent much of his life and died in 1913 in Capri.
The monastery was founded in 1371 at the initiative of the Queens secretary Count Giacomo Arcucci (who himself became a monk in 1386), in an area given by, Giovanna I Queen of Naples. The monastery undergoes profound changes over the centuries while keeping the customary structures of functional partition between buildings dedicated to the life of the community, a strict cloistered space and another for services.
From the beginning the monastery enjoyed privileges granted by Queen Giovanna, which the Carthusians had safeguarded despite the vicissitudes that marked the kingdom of Naples and Two Sicilies from the fourteenth to the sixteenth century. It also survives frequent pirate raids, with looting and destruction, which afflict the Amalfi Coast and the island of Capri especially during the first half of the sixteenth century. It is then rebuilt (1553) and increased by a new cloister. A guard tower is added (which will collapse in the seventeenth century).
BUILDINGS IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY
In 1808, the island of Capri is taken from the English by Joachim Murat, King of Naples.
The benefices and grants of the monks are confiscated. The monastery is closed and its buildings used as a barracks until 1815, then as a hospice and finally, from 1868 to 1898, as a recovery centre for the military and anarchists. In the first half of the twentieth century, the places resume a religious purpose with the installation of the Canons of the Lateran in 1936 who open a college there. They withdrew during the Second World War.
After several decades of abandonment and degradation, a museum was installed in 1974, dedicated to the German painter Karl Diefenbach who died on the island in 1913. The Charterhouse is also occupied by a school, and are utilised as a setting for organised social events. In early 2000’s large-scale restoration finally begins.
The Carthusian monastery has three distinct quarters: the pharmacy and the female part of the church, the monastic area, and the guest area. The large cloister dates from the Renaissance (sixteenth century). The small cloister contains Roman marble columns.
You can help save all these works of Art at the Certosa of San Giacomo
via crowdfunding here
WHY IT MATTERS
Known to locals as « La Certosa », the Charterhouse of Saint Giacomo is a medieval monastery that has survived seven centuries of pirates, wars, plagues and monastic suppression only to embrace a new role today as the cultural heart of this world famous island. Now the future of this 14th century masterpiece is threatened and a restoration intervention is urgently needed.
A JEWEL ATOP THE CLIFF
One of the oldest documented historic buildings on the isle of Capri, La Certosa sits majestically atop a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and the famous Faraglioni rocks. The complex comprises many buildings and open spaces including the Church, Refectory, Canonica, Small Cloister, Large Cloister, the Prior’s Quarters and several splendid gardens. For centuries, the monastery served as the island’s apothecary, hospital and spiritual center. Today, it belongs to the Italian State and is open to the public, functioning as a library and museum and providing a venue for concerts, art exhibits and conferences.
THE CRITICAL STATE OF THE SMALL CLOISTER
Considered one of the most important architectural and artistic treasures of the Campania region, the elegant and intimate Small Cloister dates to the foundation of the Certosa (1371-1374), making it one of the oldest parts of the complex. The arches of the cloister are supported by 18 ancient marble columns, the foundation of the complex. Over the centuries, many have cracked, leaving them in imminent danger of collapse. A restoration intervention is urgently required. Without it, the survival of the Small Cloister is threatened and the population of Capri is risk of losing a monument that is as closely identified with the island as is the sea.
The columns have undergone a number of previous restoration processes, none of which has proved sustainable (above left). Metal rods were inserted into a number of them as reinforcement and to support the weight of the arches, but as these corroded the marble began to crack. Some have been fitted with metal brackets around the base to hold them together. Given the critical state of the columns, the Director of the Certosa, Dr. Patrizia Di Maggio, has identified their restoration as urgent now.
The layout of the Small Cloister follows the architectural guidelines of St. Bruno, founder of the Carthusian order. Its columns, in white marble sequestered from the Imperial era, feature capitals of many different styles. Some date to the 1st century AD like the Corinthian capital (above right) which was probably taken from an imperial villa on the island. Others date to the Middle Ages (12th-14th centuries) with those featuring smooth leaves and large corner arches probably earlier (12th century) than those in the white marble crochet style popular in Italy between the 13th and 14th centuries. Their history and age make them totally irreplaceable and this necessary restoration work will ensure that they survive for centuries to come
ADOPT A COLUMN
The restoration project begins with the work of diagnostic technicians who will investigate the exact internal state of each column, using non-invasive methods like radiography. Each column in turn will then be dismantled, restored and put back in place. The restoration will be carried out in four phases, one for each side of the portico of the small cloister. This first phase focusses on the five columns which have been identified as the most at risk.
Support the Certosa and ‘Adopt a Column’!
So far only 44% or € 8.261 has been raised
The goal to reach for the campaign for the first phase to restore the first five columns is €18,725: The costs of the restoration work amount to €15,895 (22% VAT incl.), 6% for platform operation costs, 3% credit card commission, communication material and the management of the campaign.
You can help save the Certosa of San Giacomo
via crowdfunding here
THE CERTOSA THROUGH TIME
Enjoying the royal patronage of Joanna I of Anjou, the “notorious” Queen of Naples, the Certosa was founded in 1371-74 by her secretary and Grand Chamberlain, Count Giacomo Arcucci, a nobleman of Capri. The Certosa’s history of political intrigue, centuries of misdeeds, pirate raids, pillaging, devastation from disease and military invasion reads like the script of a Netflix production. Sacked in 1553 by hordes of marauding Turkish pirates, following earlier incursions by the corsairs Kair-ed-ddin and Mustafà Bassà, it was repaired in 1563 and a second, larger cloister and a defensive tower were added. In 1656 an epidemic of plague devasted Capri and decimated the island’s population. Later, in 1808, the island was invaded by the armies of Joseph Bonaparte who, in true Napoleonic style, put an end to monastic life at the Certosa, banishing the monks from the island forever. In the years that followed, the Certosa fell into decline, being used for a variety of secular purposes including a jail (1815), a hospital, an army barracks (1860) and a military prison (1871-1901). It was subsequently converted for use as a school, library and museum.
LoveItaly is working in collaboration with…
The Friends of the Certosa di Capri, an organisations based in Italy, the USA, the UK and Canada that fundraises for the restoration, maintenance and support of the Certosa and its programmes. Since the Friends’ foundation in 2006, the association has financed a number of important projects and is working closely with LoveItaly to support the restoration of the columns of the Small Cloister.
They accept offline donations as well, here is the information for bank transfers. If you choose to send them a bank transfer, please email them with a copy of the receipt so we can list you as a Donor on our website!
LoveItaly Associazione Culturale
Unicredit Banca / Roma Non Profit
Piazza Barberini n.40, 00187 – Roma
If you require further information please contact the Director: